Twitch is arguably the best video streaming platform for gamers worldwide. Streamers and users can download videos to upload to other platforms, like YouTube or store them locally. So, if you're looking for how to download twitch videos, this article is for you.
One thing about live streams is that you're going to miss them. However, sometimes you may miss your favorite gamer's live streaming and need to rewatch it offline. Fortunately, Twitch's Video On Demand(VOD) feature allows streamers and users alike to download videos and access them offline.
This guide will walk you on how to download twitch videos in easy steps. Let's get started.
How To Download Your Twitch Streams
Often than not, Twitch streamers like to upload their videos to other platforms like YouTube and Vimeo. This helps to grow your following or community on different platforms. In addition, enabling the VOD feature allows people who can't watch the broadcast live to enjoy it at a later time.
If this sounds like something you'd want, we're here to help you save your VODs directly to your device.
Twitch gives a time frame within which your broadcast is available for download. However, this period varies depending on your user account. For example, users with a basic or regular account have two weeks(14 days) from the initial stream until the video is deleted from Twitch's servers.
Conversely, users with a Twitch Partner account or a Twitch Affiliate account have 60 days after the broadcast to download their streams.
How To Download Your Twitch VODs
Before downloading your Twitch videos, the first and most important step is to enable auto-archiving. This feature gives Twitch the permission to automatically archive your broadcasts.
How To Enable Auto-Archiving
- Go to the Twitch website and Login into your account
- Click the arrow icon on the right corner of your screen for the drop-down menu
- Select Settings
- Go to Channel and Videos, then Channel Settings
- Navigate to the Stream feature
- You will see the Stream and Key preferences settings. Next, check for the Store Past Broadcasts settings and slide the toggle to On.
- Your videos will be automatically saved once the broadcast is ended. You can access them on the Video Manager option through the Main Menu.
How to Download Twitch VODs Via the Twitch Website
- Go to the Website and Login into your account
- Click the arrow icon to open the drop-down menu
- Select Video Producer in the menu
- Click on All Videos to access Past Broadcasts
- You'll find the More menu(three dots) on the right of the video you want to save to your PC. Select it, then click on the Download option.
*You will require to follow different steps to download someone else's stream. We've covered the steps below.
How to Download Twitch VODs to Your iPhone
Downloading your past Twitch stream to your iPhone is not as easy as downloading the video to your computer. Fortunately, although you'll need a third-party app, it's not impossible.
i). Using the Apple Shortcuts App
- Download and Open the Apple Shortcuts app
- Download the Loader Shortcut
- Login to your account using the Twitch website on your phone
- Access your past broadcasts and find the video you'd like to download
- Copy the Twitch stream link and paste it into the Loader shortcut
- You can also click on the share button below the VOD and open it through the Loader shortcut
- The video will download automatically. Select a folder on your iPhone where you'd prefer the video to be saved.
ii). Using VLC
Another alternative is to use VLC to download your Twitch Video. Follow these steps to use this option.
- Download the VLC app
- Access the Video Producer option by Login in to your Twitch account on your phone through the Twitch website
- Locate the Twitch video you want to download, then copy the Twitch Video link
- Open the VLC app
- Tap on the Network icon on the screen and select Downloads
- Paste the VOD link on the network bar and click Download
- The Twitch video will be ready to watch on your phone
How to Download Twitch VODs to Your Android Phone
If you wish to save videos from twitch to your Android phone, you'll need a third-party app to be seamless in the process. You can use the Video for Twitch – VOD & Clips Downloader app to save your videos.
- Download the Video for Twitch – VOD & Clips Downloader app
- Go to the Twitch website on your phone
- Login to your account to access the Video Producer page
- Find the video you want to save and copy the Video URL
- Launch the Video for Twitch – VOD & Clips Downloader app
- Paste the link and tap the Download button
- The video is ready to watch
How To Download Someone Else's Streams
It's not uncommon to want to save videos from your favorite gamers to watch later or share with your friends. While Twitch does not provide a way for you to download videos from other users, there are a few ways to work around this.
The most popular methods involve using third-party apps to download Twitch VODs. These include Twitch Leecher and 4K Video Downloader.
Let us look at each option below.
How to Download Another User's Twitch VODs Using Twitch Leecher
Being a third-party app, Twitch Leecher is not supported or endorsed by Twitch. However, it's a completely free and popular way of downloading Twitch VODs from your favorite users.
- Download Twitch Leecher from its official page on GitHub
- Run and Install the program on your PC
- Open Twitch and navigate to the channel and video you'd like to save
- Right-click on the VOD and select copy link address
- Open Twitch Leecher and go to the Search bar
- Select the URL tab and paste the download link
- Click the search button
- Your selected Twitch Video should appear on the screen. Click the Download button
- Choose the video quality(resolution) and the folder where you'd like the video saved. You can also give the video a custom filename and select where you want the video to start and end
- Select Download
- Your video should be available to watch on your computer
How to Download Another User's Twitch VODs Using 4K Video Downloader
The 4K video downloader application allows you to download Twitch VODs and high quality, even 4K, videos from other streaming platforms such as Vimeo, YouTube and Facebook.
This third-party app is compatible with both Mac and Windows computers, making it super easy to download Twitch VOD videos. In addition, you can download different video qualities apart from 4K.
- Download the 4K Video Downloader
- Run and install the application on your computer
- Launch the Twitch video downloader
- Open the Twitch website to access your account
- Go to a specific Twitch channel or browse through videos you'd like to download
- Click the video thumbnail to open it, then copy the Video URL at the top of your Web Browser
- Go to the upper right corner and select Paste link
- Select the folder on your PC where you want to save the videos. You can choose the video quality here too
- Select Download
*4K video downloader offers free and paid plans to save videos from Twitch.
Downloading videos from Twitch has never been this easy!
With the download options and steps listed in this guide, you can save your own videos and those of your favorite gamers and creators on Twitch to watch offline. In addition, you can enjoy the videos on your Mac or Windows computer and iPhone or Android phone.
Image Source: dotesports.com