Gaming is a powerful trend, hobby, and even a job nowadays, as brought by the technological advancement of our world today. But, for your gaming to succeed, you need to ensure strong Wi-Fi coverage, and unfortunately, you cannot always gain that with just one router. So, if you have a strong signal but would like to set up your gaming equipment further from the router, your best interest lies in getting the best WiFi extender for gaming.
- 1 What is a Wi-Fi Extender for Gaming?
- 2 What is the best wifi extender for gaming?
- 3 1. TP-Link ac2600 Wi-Fi Extender
- 4 2. N600 Desktop Wi-Fi Range Extender
- 5 3. Medialink AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Ethernet Router
- 6 4. NETGEAR Nighthawk Wi-Fi Mesh Range Extender EX8000
- 7 5. ASUS RT-AC5300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Gaming Router Extender
- 8 6. Linksys RE7000 Gigabit Range Extender for PC Gamer
- 9 Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best WiFi Extender for Gaming
- 10 Why Do You Need the Best WiFi Extender for Gaming?
- 11 Summary
- 12 Frequently Asked Questions About the Best WiFi Extender for Gaming
What is a Wi-Fi Extender for Gaming?
A Wi-Fi extender works by extending the signal produced by your router through an ethernet port. This gives you more reliable and functional access to the internet from a distance. Not just that, the best Wi-Fi extender might also improve the speed of your download and upload activities so that you can forget buffering or lagging.
Wi-Fi extenders can also improve your various games' ping significantly. A ping is the amount of time taken for information to be sent and returned to your computer unit, and so, the lower it is, the better connection you'd be working with.
While this can be a little consideration for those who don't have any interest and passion for gaming, any input delay and lag spike can make a huge difference for a range of gamers, especially those who see gaming as a passion and income-generating platform.
Let us skip to the main content. When you're searching for a reliable and high-quality unit of the best Wi-Fi extenders, we happily have you covered. This is why we have already put together a list of the most recommended and best Wi-Fi extenders for gaming. In this way, you can have more time and information in choosing the best Wi-Fi extender for your gaming experience.
What is the best wifi extender for gaming?
1. TP-Link ac2600 Wi-Fi Extender
- Extend the range of your Wi Fi with the dual band RE650, compatible with any...
- Quad Antenna design for ultimate coverage for all areas of your home
- MU-MIMO Wave 2 technology allows the RE650 to talk to Multiple devices at once...
- Smart indicator lights help provide optimal placement. Should be installed...
This TP-Link Wi-Fi extender is designed to be placed at the middle point of your location from the router to extend the Wi-Fi range. The four antennas help the TP-Link AC2600 Wi-Fi Range Extender effectively deliver stronger signals directly to devices such as phones, laptops, and tablets anywhere at home. This is done with BeamformingTechnology. Another thing, this TP-Link is a handy extender made for multiple ranges of device connections, including sophisticated gaming consoles.
Signal extension happens without any overloaded or strained internet connection. In addition, the extender boasts 2.4ghz 800Mbps up to 5HG 173Mbps with MU-Mimo Wave 2 technology. This TP-Link unit also allows you to connect your console through an Ethernet port to help you wire the devices directly to your source. But, the extender does not always remember the past connections you made, so you still need to set up if you want to switch to the old router you used before.
All in all, this Wi-Fi extender is a great baseline for gamers who want to improve their gaming and streaming experience. It is also compatible with the TP-Link tether app for a stress-free setup.
2. N600 Desktop Wi-Fi Range Extender
- Ideal for extending WiFi to devices like the iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3, iPad...
- Extends dual band WiFi coverage
- Works with any standard WiFi router or gateway
- Wirelessly stream music to your audio system
Next, we have the N600 Desktop Wi-Fi Range Extender, which is also one of the best extenders of Wi-Fi to rely on. You can connect it via a wired ethernet port connection and wireless connectivity. With this, you can then extend dual-band Wi-Fi up to 2.4ghz 600Mbps to provide you with an HD streaming and ideal gaming experience.
With its Push N' Connect Technology, the router is easy to set up. This is a good option for those looking for extenders to help boost both their console and desktop gaming experience, while it does not do any wide range boasting compared to others in this list. In addition to that, the N600 has a desktop-friendly design allowing high-speed connectivity localized to a gaming setup. Many reviewers already lauded how easy setting this Wi-Fi extender up is. They even mentioned that they only needed to only download their password, and the rest of the setup was a breeze for them.
Above all, this Wi-Fi extender for gaming looks and works great. It has the quality that any gamer needs to boost connectivity and the gaming experience. Also, this Wi-Fi extender is so easy to set up for you to enjoy and experience quality gaming already.
- 10X’S THE SPEED: Most routers in this price range have only “Fast...
- RANGE: Beamforming and 2 high powered antennas work together to cover larger...
- SAFE: Robust firewall and wireless security keeps out unwanted visitors while...
- FULL CONTROL: Are the router lights too bright? Turn them off! Are your kids...
The next in line is Medialink AC1200Gigabit Wireless Router. It is also considered one of the best extenders for Wi-Fi to make your gaming experience more effective and worth it. This best Wi-Fi extender has four gigabit ethernet ports designed specifically for 4K streaming devices and gaming. These ports then aid the Medialink AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Router to provide almost 1000MBps as its best speed when wired to any device.
This Wi-Fi extender also offers a universal range extender for gaming that is perfect for enhancing the Wi-Fi reception in any area with a spotty Wi-Fi network, especially in one large household. In addition, the dual antenna system makes it possible for the Wi-Fi to have a stronger signal to help it reach further than what a traditional Wi-Fi router usually does. This makes it easier for you, especially if you are a pc gamer, to have a smooth experience with a faster internet network.
This router provides an amazing and highly-effective 1200 Mbps, which is the ideal network speed best for gaming. Aside from that, this Wi-Fi extender provides integrated firewalls, as well as a protected Wi-Fi signal so you can also ensure that there isn't anything that derails the connection. With these mentioned features, this Wi-Fi extender truly has the power and speed to make any pc gamer or customer participate in more gaming tournaments or just experiences.
Above all, this best Wi-Fi range extender for gaming can be the solution to any of your network concerns. Its offered features and benefits can always make your gaming experience and performance swift. You can make even simple and old video games fun and exciting to play with better connectivity using this best Wi-Fi range extender. It's been a top-bought Wi-Fi range extender that was able to gather lots of 5-star reviews from the market.
4. NETGEAR Nighthawk Wi-Fi Mesh Range Extender EX8000
- Extended wireless coverage: Adds Wi-Fi range coverage up to 2500 square feet,...
- Seamless smart roaming: Uses your existing network SSID name so you never get...
- Ac3000 Wi-Fi speed: Provides up to 3000 mbps performance using Tri band and...
- Universal compatibility: Works with any wireless router, gateway, or cable modem...
Another Wi-Fi range extender for gamers is this NETGEAR Nighthawk Wi-Fi Mesh Range Extender. It is among the top items from NetGear for improving your Wi-Fi coverage. You may first think that having more than 60 wifi-enabled devices at home is impossible, as well as other tools used for internet connectivity for games or signal reception. However, this NetGear Wi-Fi range extender ex8000 will make it happen.
It is one of the most powerful Wi-Fi extenders for gaming used to provide max speed and performance. It can cover 2,500 square feet, which is the average size of an American house. It also offers a speed boost reaching up to 3,000 Mbps, so you'll enjoy easy gameplay as this Wi-Fi mesh extender makes a lot of improvements in the signal.
Moreover, this Netgear Wi-Fi range extender has one of the best seamless smart roaming technology. It makes use of your existing SSID name to keep your wireless network working, as well as to provide a performance having visible power and max stream.
This NetGear Nighthawk Wi-Fi extender also has gigabit ethernet ports providing more links to any access point of a Wi-Fi signal. This is a product of Netgear that already has more than 5000 reviews, all gathering satisfied 5-stars. They have nothing to criticize as it is attractive, affordable, and effective. When using this kind of Wi-Fi range, the mesh range extender does not make any mess on your desk as it has no antenna to deal with. This extender is also easy to set up, and most importantly, it provides and obtains a stable connection.
5. ASUS RT-AC5300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Gaming Router Extender
- Tri band (Dual 5 GHz, single 2; 4 GHz) with the latest 802; 11AC 4x4 technology...
- Mu memo technology enables multiple compatible clients to connect at each...
- Built in ACCESS to Waist gamers private network (GPN) of route optimized servers...
- A protection powered by Trend Micro provides multi stage protection from...
We also have the best Wi-Fi extenders to make any home a smart home. This ASUS is one such extender with the equipment to guarantee the smooth processing of your Wi-Fi signal. It has a Tri-band frequency of 2.4 GHz with dual 802 11ac.
More so, it boasts a connection speed and performance of over 5334 MBps and can reach an access point of 5,000 square feet within a house, which is more than twice a typical American house. This makes it one of the best range extenders, especially for those involved in serious, casual, and professional gaming performances.
Additionally, the Wi-Fi range extender supports any kind of device with its gigabit ethernet ports. It also has alternating Wi-Fi bands throughput, a consistent speed, and excellent video quality for streaming. In this way, this best extender supports not only every type of laptop, system, and gaming device, but it also has alternating Wi-Fi bands that provide the users with consistent speed to the location they're in.
Also, a previous reviewer of this product noted that their slow connection problem was no longer noticeable since they set up this router, as the Wi-Fi became swift for the best gaming experience. With that confirmation, this is highly recommended to gamers who might experience similar connectivity issues.
Whatever the system or game you play, this gaming router will let you experience reduced slow connection issues and help you improve your gaming skills to reach the top rank. In addition, this gaming router will also help you gain more game colleagues to work with in the tournaments. All in all, it will give you the best experience for successful gameplay.
6. Linksys RE7000 Gigabit Range Extender for PC Gamer
- ELIMINATE DEAD ZONES AND BOOST AC1900 plus WIFI RANGE: Extend your home WiFi to...
- EXTEND NEXT-GEN AC WIFI TO MULTIPLE USERS WITH MULTI USER-MIMO: Next-Gen AC with...
- ROOM-TO-ROOM WIFI WITH SEAMLESS ROAMING: The AC1900 plus Range Extender offers...
- WORKS WITH ALL WIFI ROUTERS: This range extender is compatible with any WiFi...
When looking to improve your Wi-Fi coverage for gaming, you can consider this Linksys RE7000 Wi-Fi extender that can cover up to 2200 square feet. It will effectively eliminate dead zones when you set it up with the Linksys MAX-STREAM router, unfortunately, sold separately.
This Wi-Fi extender is suitable for PC gaming and supports the Seamless Roaming technology that sees it automatically switch to the strongest signal for better internet. The range extender also comes with a Gigabit Ethernet port for faster connectivity to your gaming console. If you prefer to connect otherwise, you can use the ethernet cable to set up other devices such as a smart TV. This dual-band Wi-Fi extender is a good bet when looking for a stable Wi-Fi connection.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best WiFi Extender for Gaming
If you want to take your gaming to the next level, you will need a strong Wi-Fi signal to match your needs. Considering how important this is, you need to be more choosy with the available choices in the market. But that's not all; you can consider these factors to help you eliminate the Wi-Fi extenders you don't need.
a) Router Compatibility
Apart from the Wi-Fi extender, your router is the main point of your internet connection, so anything you buy after it needs to be compatible. Luckily, most Wi-Fi extenders for gaming are compatible with most routers as they also have multiple ports for connection.
However, before buying, make sure the best Wi-Fi extender is compatible with your router's Mu-Mimo settings, dual-band features, and even connectivity ports.
b) Easy setup
A good Wi-Fi extender is easy to set up for use. As such, make sure your extender comes with a Wi-Fi-protected Setup (WPS) function to ease the process. This function makes it easy to pair your gadgets in a few steps, so you are always guaranteed stable Wi-Fi coverage.
Some Wi-Fi extenders also have blinking LED lights to indicate where you should set them up; this is often at the halfway point from your router and where the extender can easily receive and transmit string signals.
c) Bandwidth and frequency
When looking for the best Wi-Fi extenders for gaming, you have to pay attention to the standard frequency. The standard frequency for single-band Wi-Fi extenders is 2.5GHz. But, this frequency is suitable for lighter demands such as surfing the internet or answering emails.
It would help if you had stronger frequencies as a game, so, ideally, you'd look for dual or triple band Wi-Fi extenders. Keep in mind, though, that these will be more expensive but worth the price for the services they offer.
d) Type of Wi-Fi extender
While this factor rarely affects performance, it is important as it dictates how tough installation is and how tidy your setup looks after installing the range extender.
As such, there are two types of Wi-Fi extenders you can get; a plug-in extender and a desktop Wi-Fi extender. A desktop range extender looks more like an ordinary router and is the best option for serious gamers. It will come with external antennas, which gives it broader coverage to bring Wi-Fi closest to you.
A plug-in Wi-Fi extender is smaller and is usually plugged into an outlet between the internet router and your receiving device. While they have a tidier and minimalistic appearance, these may not be the best extenders for your gaming needs as they operate as single-frequency range extenders.
e) Ethernet ports
As you will notice, with most wifi-extenders for gaming, they have the main selling point in the number of gigabit ethernet ports they offer. These ports are ideal for connecting to most gaming consoles that lack wireless connectivity.
You can choose between any number of gigabit ethernet ports depending on which type of Wi-Fi range extender you get. For example, a desktop extender can come with up to five gigabit ethernet ports, while a plug-in extender can offer one or two ports. A gigabit ethernet port is the best connection when you need the best internet connectivity for online gaming.
f) Connection speed
Sure, the main job of a Wi-Fi extender is to strengthen Wi-Fi connectivity, but the connection needs to load fast for you t enjoy the benefits. Therefore, you need an extender that does not only regenerates signals but that also offers better speeds.
Online gaming is a demanding industry where lags or buffering can affect productivity. So, if the current router you use does not offer the fastest connectivity it can output, make sure you get a wifi-range extender that does not half the router's internet speed.
You might need to invest in top-of-the-range extenders to avoid this scenario. Normally, as the Wi-Fi signals travel through the extender, you might notice a drop in the throughput speeds. For example, you might notice that when your router is set for 50mbps, using an extender can sometimes leave you with 25mbps. So, while the signal can reach you from a distance, the connectivity is somehow affected. Thus, as a professional gamer, your best solution is to get a mesh router with dual-band frequencies to mitigate such an inconvenience.
g) Where you need to install the extender
Since the extender needs to widen the Wi-Fi coverage, you need to get one that makes it easy to decide where to install it. As a rule of thumb, the Wi-Fi signal extender needs to communicate with the router and the gaming console.
So, you can rely on your house's layout to decide on your best WiFi extender for gaming. Of course, you will need to avoid walls and larger appliances, both factors that affect the signal transmission.
The best Wi-Fi extenders come at different prices depending on their Wi-Fi rebroadcasting abilities. You can find some at below $50, while higher-end models can cost up to $400.
That said, online gaming demands a lot of power, which means most budget models might not be enough. As such, it would be best to invest in most models with better features that can cost around $200.
Why Do You Need the Best WiFi Extender for Gaming?
While you continue looking for your best Wi-Fi extenders, you will encounter three terms that can leave you confused. These are signal repeaters, powerline adaptors/Wi-Fi boosters, and mesh extenders. Here is how they differ.
- Repeaters. These are also called plug-in Wi-Fi extenders, and they work in a pretty straightforward method. As the name implies, you will only need to plug them into a convenient source to copy the exact signal from your router and relay it to your gaming console. So, these are unlikely to improve your internet speeds as they only transmit what they receive.
- Wi-Fi boosters and mesh extenders. These are devices used to rebroadcast stronger signals from your router. If your gaming console is set up in a different room, you will struggle with strong signals because of walls or impeding appliances. Unlike Wi-Fi repeaters which are mostly single-band, Wi-Fi boosters and mesh range extenders work with stronger frequencies to broadcast the strongest signals at any time. Also used to define Wi-Fi repeaters. Generally, you install them at a central place where they can redistribute Wi-Fi signals farther than the router can reach. But, these will differ from repeaters in that they can also improve your Wi-Fi signals.
Now that you understand how these devices work, here are the benefits of having at least one for your gaming needs.
- They eliminate dead zones. Dead zones are also called dead spots, and these would be areas in your house or station where you lose Wi-Fi signals completely. Sometimes te signal loss is caused by architectural structures like walls and floors. In such a case, you will need to set up your best Wi-Fi extender strategically so the structure does not affect the signal transmission.
- They improve internet speeds in areas with low performance. Sometimes you don't lose connection, but there are areas in your house where the speeds are slower. You can improve speeds in such places by getting a Wi-Fi extender.
- A Wi-Fi booster or extender also improves overall speeds. Wi-Fi extenders come with better Technology than an older router, giving you the chance to use upgraded software for better internet speeds. For instance, your Wi-Fi extender can support 802.11ac speeds, and this is a feature you would enjoy even when your home router is not up to date.
- They are ideal for large homes. The average home in the US is around 2500 square feet, topo large an area for a wireless router to cover. So, if you are gaming from home, an extender is a vital device to own for uninterrupted internet access, especially when you share the same coverage with other family members.
- They can broadcast your Wi-Fi network outside. The wireless extender can broadcast Wi-Fi to many areas in your home, and if you ever want to have a gaming session outside, it will bring you better speeds across multiple devices.
The best WiFi extender for gaming can be a gamechanger if you are set up far from a router. Gaming demands fast internet speeds, and an extender can improve the coverage even when you are playing far from the router. If you are looking for your best extender, we have shared six affordable options that you can choose from.
We picked these for good bandwidth, easy setup, affordable prices, and compatibility with most wireless routers. In addition, the Gigabit Ethernet port on most extenders will guarantee better Wi-Fi transmission across any gaming consoles you use.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Best WiFi Extender for Gaming
a) Are Wi-Fi extenders ideal for gaming?
When gaming, you mostly use wired devices such as PCs and gaming consoles. The nature of wired devices could mean you can't move your set-up around to areas where the Wi-Fi is stronger. For this reason, getting a Wi-Fi extender can help you get the strongest Wi-Fi coverage from a router installed far or in another room.
b) Do Wi-Fi Extenders Reduce Ping?
It is possible for the best Wi-Fi extender to reduce ping. When you can enjoy after speeds, you can lower your game ping, but only when a longer ping is encouraged by slower internet speeds.
c) Can a Wi-Fi extender help professional gamers in a competition?
While Wi-Fi range extenders help you with stronger internet coverage, they may not be the best solution for professional gamers, especially in a competition where any latency can have serious consequences. Therefore, if you are preparing for the highest level of competition, it is best to install your console closest to a reliable router.
But, when you are learning the best skills or your game as a hobby, you can use a Wi-Fi range extender to improve Wi-Fi coverage.