Are you bored of playing Xbox One games alone? You can still revive your gaming zeal, energy, and interest through split-screen multiplayer games. Accordingly, we recommend buying the best split-screen Xbox One games for the ultimate co-op experience.
Therefore, we have curated an informative buying guide for the best split-view Xbox One games. Nevertheless, let's first understand the concept of screen splitting in games.
What is the best 2 player game for Xbox one?
What is a Split-Screen Game?
A split-screen game is made to display separate individual yet full views for multiple players on the same screen. Ideally, the players can be in one location, close by or far from each other. Subsequently, the players can either cooperate against AI or compete against each other.
Furthermore, the split-screen feature can either be supported through a local network, a single Xbox One console, or the internet. Accordingly, you can have fun with fellow gamers as you work together through missions with the end goal of collecting team virtual rewards. Having understood how a split-game works, let's review the five best products in this category.
1. Gears 5
- From one of the most acclaimed game franchises in history, Gears 5 delivers an...
- Campaign: With all out war descending, Kait Diaz breaks away to uncover her...
- Escape: A new, aggressive, high stakes co op mode featuring a three player...
- Versus: May the best team win with 10+ other game types plus new and classic...
Top on our list of the best split-screen Xbox One games is Gears 5. This action-adventure Xbox One game is heavy on incredible visuals and light on the plot. Nevertheless, you will hardly notice the lacking plot because of how you and your buddy will be involved in taking down aliens through its amazing split-screen feature. Precisely, you and your partner will be commanding muscular bros in the third-person shooter mode through a fast-paced, frightening campaign stretching up to 13 hours.
Even more, this game can allow up to 5 players on the online co-op version and up to 3 players on the combo co-op mode. However, the online mode under the combo can only be utilized through the Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate console memberships. The two muscular bros campaign is enabled through a 2-player local co-op where you use a local network to cooperate against AI.
With the necessary multiplayer requirements for any co-op version, you can enjoy charging through danger with big shotguns and machine guns with insane attachments such as chainsaws. However, even with a partner on the split-screen, this third-person version is still not a breeze, especially with the need for strategy and coordination to clinch victory in some missions.
2. Call of Duty: WWII
- Call of Duty returns to its roots with Call of Duty: WWII—a breathtaking...
- Land in Normandy on D-Day and battle across Europe through iconic locations in...
- Experience classic Call of Duty combat, the bonds of camaraderie, and the...
- Spanish (Publication Language)
Another contender for the best split-screen Xbox One game is Call of Duty: World War II. This first-person shooter game offers the split-screen multiplayer mode while fighting against zombies, bots, or fellow human players. Precisely, the split-screen mode for this Call of Duty game is for two players while gaming locally. Alternatively, you can play the split-screen version online with a maximum of four in a team.
Moreover, the competitive nature of this split-screen game guarantees you and your partner thrilling cooperative gaming. ACTIVISION developers also ensure that you go through waves of bloodthirsty zombies that require strategy and top-notch coordination to make the most out of co-op gaming. Essentially, co-op multiplayer aims to stimulate teamwork similar to a military unit to achieve given team objectives.
Alternatively, COD WWII also has the combo co-op version to allow online participation alongside local co-op with the allowance of up to four players. Additionally, you can play competitive gaming against human participants for hours. As you work together through the zombie hordes, you will enjoy fantastic graphics from the COD series with plenty of second chances through its replay-ability.
3. Halo: The Master Chief Collection
- System requirement your device must meet all minimum requirements to open this...
- English (Publication Language)
Coming third among the best Xbox One split-screen games is Halo: The Master Chief Collection. You can enjoy the split-screen in the Halo Series, including Combat Evolved, Halo 4, Halo 3, and Halo 2. Subsequently, this first shooter fantasy exposes you to a wide pool of multi-players with an array of 45 missions.
Specifically, the screen splitting feature is applicable for both local and online players. You can play local co-op with two players, online co-op with a max of 4 players, and a max of 4 players for the combo cooperated multiplayer. One of the great advantages of this game is that you can enjoy a co-op campaign.
When it comes to visual qualities, the Halo: Master Chief Collection has breathtaking graphics for quality, lengthy playtime. In addition, the graphics are wonderfully updated for a fluid 60 FPS split-screen functionality. You can easily switch between new and old graphics to appreciate why Halo: The Master Chief Collection ranks among the best split-screen games.
4. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
- Two critically acclaimed Borderlands games in one package experience Handsome...
- Over $100 in value and hundreds of hours of gameplay: includes all campaign add...
- Borderlands: The Handsome Collection supports four different players on a SINGLE...
- Pick up right where you left off. Transfer your Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or PS...
We also recommend Borderlands: The Handsome Collection for the best Xbox One split-screen game. This collection includes Pre-sequel, Borderlands 2, and DLCs. Fortunately, the Pre-Sequel and BL2 are made with a local co-op for a max of 4 players.
You can also enjoy an online co-op version for up to 4 players and a combo co-op of max 4 players. For its campaign, you can enjoy co-op multiplayer for a more thrilling gaming experience. Most significantly, you can level your Borderlands characters across different consoles for continued multiplayer campaigns. Consequently, if you end up in one house, you can easily load your characters online or solo on the same console.
To add flavor to the split-screen multiplayer, you can enjoy the first-person action, gear progression, and skill tree with 12 diverse playable characters. Moreover, the multiplayer resolution is 1080 with a playtime stretching over 100 hours with numerous side missions to keep you and your friends occupied for a long time. Such multiplayer versatility and aesthetics definitely justify the ranking of this game among the best co-op games.
5. Divinity: Original Sin II Definitive Edition
- Go anywhere, talk to anyone, and interact with everything! Kill any NPC without...
- Blast your opponents with elemental combinations. Use height to your advantage....
- Play with your friends online (up to 4 players) or in local split-screen with...
- Story mode: A new difficulty setting for players who wish to enjoy the lauded...
Last on our list for the best split-screen multiplayer game is the definitive version of Divinity: Original Sin 2. It is a remarkable RPG Xbox One game for couch co-op multiplayer mode. However, even with the multiplayer enabling screen splitting, products in this category must justify the engagement of more than one player. Accordingly, this game is packed with fascinating hero fantasy for saving the world.
You can play with a max of 4 players on the online and local co-op. Additionally, you can easily join or leave the multiplayer interface. As a bang for your buck, this game offers an extensive playtime of 60+ hours for an immersive yet rewarding engagement. Furthermore, its plot is relatable through character fellowship and conflict. Therefore, among the best couch co-op games, we recommend Divinity: Original Sin II.
Split-Screen vs. Co-Op vs. Multiplayer
The concepts of multiplayer and screen splitting gaming are common even beyond Xbox, with the familiarity spreading also to PlayStation and PC gaming. As a result, you might be confined to the perception of couch co-op gaming while there are various other concepts around the shared gaming experiences. Specifically, we will distinguish the concepts of multiplayer, split-screen, and co-op.
- Multiplayer: Games with more than one player involved, unlike the single-player version where it is just you and the AI. Multiplayer creations can either be cooperative against AI or competitive among human players. Some examples include rocket league, battle royale, and gears of war, among others.
- Split-screen: Games with two or more gamers with individual playing views against other human players or AI. While having split-screen multiplayer under one console, you can either have vertical or horizontal orientations.
- Co-op: Games with multiple human players cooperating to play against AI on the same local console or online. Think of how Destiny 2, overcooked, gears of war or rocket leagues are played in multiplayer mode. Understandably, all cooperative games are multiplayer, but not all multiplayer creations are co-op.
- Local Co-Op: We also have a local co-op game version where multiple players play offline against AI via LAN or the same screen.
- Couch Co-Op: Alternatively, you can opt for the Couch cooperative version, which is more intimate than just jumping online and coordinating over headsets. Imagine how harmonious and victorious your Gears of War, Halo reach, or rocket league can reach great rankings through the couch co-op experience.
- Online Multiplayer: What if your gaming friends are far from a local or couch play? Worry not! The online multiplayer through the internet ensures that you play with others against AI or other human gamers. Web-based multiplayer on Xbox One can apply either screen splitting or full-screen.
- Combo Co-Op: Lastly, there is also the option of combining local and online multiplayer game modes simultaneously. For instance, you can try Borderlands 3 or gears of war under this co-op version.
Nonetheless, you should also consider that most Xbox One games offer multiplayer modes but with different playing orientations such as co-op and screen splitting. Therefore, the best multiplayer Xbox video game should have multiple multiplayer/co-op modes for gaming flexibility.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Split-Screen Xbox One Games
1. Co-Op Creativity
While choosing the best split-screen Xbox One games, you have the option of either cooperative competitive. For the cooperative option, you can play alongside a friend in the gaming fantasy like on the same team as for laidback games like overcooked 2. Alternatively, you can opt for a thrilling and fast-paced competitive screen splitting video game like rocket league.
If you are playing with a child, you can consider the screen splitting options for friendly games like Minecraft or LEGO video games for the ultimate gaming experience. The split-screen Xbox video games vary in genres, and some might be enjoyable on a split view screen depending on the company or your comfort around fellow gamers. Even with the option of having the full screen to yourself during multiplayer, Xbox split-screen games are a must-play to enjoy the extra thrill and fun of gaming.
2. Genre Variety
Additionally, it would help to consider the genre of your split-screen Xbox one game. The most sort after screen-splitting games are first-person shooters, but there are other interesting genres in this category. Moreover, exposure to different genres under the Xbox split-screen games helps to boost the confidence of playing co-op game modes without the fear of failure.
Subsequently, building a multiplayer genre array can help explore different virtual fantasies in the company of your gaming friends. Therefore, we suggest you try out competitive racing and sports games as well as innovative cooperative games on Xbox One. Other suggestions to try besides our top recommendations include battle royale, borderlands 3, overcooked 2, and Minecraft.
3. Online Multiplayer
Also, you might be physically away from your gaming crew, but you still desire screen-splitting gameplay. In most cases, screen splitting games are applicable while playing locally, but is there an online screen splitting gaming option? Indeed, you can also play multiplayer games through the online screen-splitting gaming version. Nonetheless, you need to look for games that support web-based screen splitting gaming.
Additionally, online screen-splitting multiplayer creations eliminate some online single-player limitations, such as the need for subscriptions. Even though it is still difficult to bypass this limitation in most online gaming modes, some Xbox games can allow guests to ride on your Xbox Live Gold subscription. So, in the end, if you are tired of exploring the open world alone, physical distance won't be a barrier through the screen-splitting web-based multiplayer.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Split-Screen Xbox One Games
1. Do local co-op and couch co-op games require internet?
No, these multiplayer versions don't require an internet connection. You will only need to be connected to a common console for the couch multiplayer creations, while for the local multiplayer entertainment, you only need local network connectivity. Our detailed guide also covers other multiplayer-related topics for an informative purchase. Also, we have made recommendations for the best split-screen Xbox One games in different multiplayer categories.