The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 is the gold standard of graphics cards (update: as of September 2018 that is now the GTX 2080). Since the founder’s edition debuted, NVIDIA’s numerous partners have released different models that are unique in their own ways. Though they will give identical performance, there are still some variations in the different available cards. Choosing the best graphics card to use can become an issue as a result. To help minimize the headache for you, we are going to look at the best GTX 1080 graphic cards as well as the reasons we consider them to be.
- 1 What is the best GTX 1080 graphics card?
- 2 1. Best for Overclocking: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme
- 3 2. Best Cooling System: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC Gaming
- 4 3. Best Budget Option: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X
- 5 4. Best for VR Gaming: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Rog Strix
- 6 5. Best Customer Support: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX
- 7 6. Best Software: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming
- 8 How to Buy the Best GTX 1080
- 9 How We Made Our Picks
What is the best GTX 1080 graphics card?
1. Best for Overclocking: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme
- New pascal architecture
- 8gb 256-bit gddr6, 15.5gbps;
- Virtual reality ready
- 4k gaming
Zotac is an established name in the market and has lots of impressive graphic cards and this is certainly one of them. It is another expensive option in this roundup but it will impress you for so many reasons. Firstly, the card is definitely one of the fastest models of the GTX 1080 even though it is large and heavy. It is also always able to maintain good temperature no matter the load it is carrying. The firestorm tuning software is another feature of the card that will impress you.
2. Best Cooling System: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC Gaming
- Real Base Clock: 1607 MHz / Real Boost Clock: 1733 MHz; Memory Detail: 8192MB...
- Run Longer, Play Longer with EVGA "ACX 3.0" Cooling
- DX12 OSD Support with EVGA Precision XOC
This is another wonderful GTX 1080 graphic card from EVGA that will blow you away. There are so many good things about this card that picking out the most significant benefit can be very hard. We can however, single out the cooling system as the most impressive of the numerous qualities. It has finned aluminum heatsink and MMCP cooling backplate that combine to ensure efficient cooling of the card. Other things that form parts of the cooling system include SHP 3.0 straight heat pipes and dual fan with 0db cooling. The biggest drawback for this GTX 1080 is honestly the software. The EVGA PrecisionXOC can be fairly difficult to use compared to other software systems - making it harder to adjust your settings.
On a budget? Read: Best GTX 1050 Ti
3. Best Budget Option: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X
- Twin Frozr VI Thermal Design
- Airflow Control Technology
- TORX Fan 2.0: Supremely Silent
- LED Control
While any GTX 1080 can hardly be considered a "budget buy" the MSI Gaming X is as close as you can get at a paltry $489.99. This card may not have the overclocking potentials of the Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Rog Strix but it still offers impressive performance and manages to stay quiet while working so hard. It is a high performing budget GTX 1080 for those that want something good at a bargain price. If you're not looking to overclock often and don't want to go over budget, the Gaming X is the best GTX 1080 for you.
Read: Best GPU for Mining
4. Best for VR Gaming: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Rog Strix
- 1733 MHz Boost Clock with Super Alloy Power II Delivery
- Aura RGB Lighting on both shroud and back plate
- New ASUS Fan Connect provides dual 4-pin GPU-controlled PWM fan headers
- Direct CU III with 0dB fan technology and patented wing-blade fans
Asus is a big name in the market and this graphic card lives up to the expectation of what you will expect from the Taiwan tech giants. The Rog Strix has 2 VR-ready HDMI ports that that make it easy to enjoy immersive VR experiences. The first impressive thing you may notice about this card is the 3-fan setup. The MaxContact technology and well-designed heatsink also ensure that heat is properly dissipated from the GPU.
5. Best Customer Support: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX
- Real Base Clock: 1721 MHz / Real Boost Clock: 1860 MHz; Memory Detail: 8192MB...
- Completely adjustable RGB LED using EVGA Precision XOC;VR Ready
- What you see is what you get! – No additional software required to achieve...
- Double BIOS, Refer user manual below. Operating System Support : Windows 10...
Another strong EVGA entry in the GTX 1080 series. The company is also well-known for their customer support and the flexibility for warranty. Another interesting thing is that it can be relatively quiet even when it is running at top speed. In terms of design, this card is well-built and its moderate dimension and dual-slot design means that it can fit into most computer cases. It offers impressive performance but there may be some issues of overheating, especially in smaller cases which is why we'd recommend the EVGA 1080 SC.
6. Best Software: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming
- New pascal architecture
- 8GB 256-bit GDDR5X
- Virtual reality ready
- Wind force stack 3x 100mm fan cooling system
Though this card from Gigabyte may cost a little more than most cards in this list, it is still worth the extra money if when you consider the history of the company and the performance of their cards. There are some impressive things about this card but we believe the engine's software is one of the things that may attract you to this model of the GTX 1080 GPU. You can get good performance and impressive cooling power from the card but they can be improved through the use of the Extreme engine software.
How to Buy the Best GTX 1080
The GTX 1080 is the best series of graphics cards behind the GTX 2080s. They are an excellent GPU for gaming that offers the right speed for the most immersive gaming experiences. One of the biggest reasons for buying a GTX 1080 is for their overclocking capabilities.
Like other graphic cards in the market, the GeForce GTX 1080 card comes in different models and there are variations in each of the models. Getting the right card can be tough unless you are ready to research extensively. To help you to make the right choice, we have done the bulk of the research and what you will find here are some of the best models of the card.
Qualities to Look Out For
When looking for the right GTX 1080, there are some factors you need to consider. Before we discuss these properties it is important to state here that the performance you will get from the card is quite identical. Deciding on the particular model to buy is generally not as important as deciding to buy a GTX 1080 card at the first place. It is necessary, however, to consider the factors below:
Different manufacturers have different ways of finishing their products so there will be slight difference in how the product will perform in certain categories. Considering the fact that manufacturers approach customer service differently, you may also want to buy graphic card from your favorite manufacturers.
The cooling system of the different graphic cards discussed above are different in so many ways and this will play an important role in the overall performance of the card. It is another important factor you must consider.
You also need to consider compatibility issues when choosing a graphic card. You need to ensure that the card will fit into your computer case. You also need to make sure that your motherboard has the necessary PCle to support the card.
How We Made Our Picks
In picking the graphic cards featured in this round-up, we considered all the factors discussed above. We researched extensively to find out what each particular card is best at to ensure that they will meet your specific need. We also checked to ensure that all the cards featured here have good reviews in major online market places. What you will find here are the best GeForce GTX 1080 graphic cards in the market.